Blog Archive

Thursday, March 14, 2013

JERSEY BOYS - COMMENTS

Last night my eighteen year old grandson and I attended the Broadway musical Jersey Boys. It was a show highlighting the fantastic rock and roll of Frankie Valli and his Four Seasons from the early sixties. It gave insights into their difficult path from obscurity to fame and the the troubled personal lives encountered by  some of the performers.

Aside from being an excellent evenings entertainment, I offer several observations from our evening at Chrysler Hall.

First, before the openning act lights dimmed I noticed that most of the audience were old people. Seniors just like me. Lots of baldies and grey hairs with just a few younger folk mixed in. However, when the lights dissolved and the music began I sensed we were all suddenly 50 years younger albeit for just a few hours. In the darkness the clapping hands and  impromptu singing brought me unexpected tears and good memories of younger yesterdays.

Next, at the intermission I witnessed a new phenomenon. Waiting my turn at the restroom there was an extraordinarily long line of anxious gentlemen. I commented to several of my fellow baby boomers, waiting their turn, that my frequency of visits to the "necessary"  had increased over the last few years. One guy commented that, when traveling, the first thing he now searched out when entering a new town were the restroom facilities. After my visit and passing the still waiting queue a most unusual sight ! The line of ladies waiting to enter their bathroom was much much shorter then the guys line. This was the first time at any large  function I'd seen a ladies bathroom line shorter then that for the boys. Has the world turned upside down ?

Finally, after the shows closing encore, cheers, and generous clapping I asked Corbin his impression of this  rock and roll performance. With enthusiasm he commented, "it was really quite cool". Hearing our conversation as we were exiting a gentleman commented to grandson Corbin that he might even like the music of Mozart. Later in the car, Corbin asked me what rock and roll group Mozart belonged to !

No comments:

Post a Comment