Blog Archive

Sunday, July 24, 2016

BLUEBIRD AND THE BOY.

As he entered the dark enclosure, Anthony was bleeding sweat despite the chilled air of the stone chapel. He knelt and started, "bless me father for I have sinned ..."

The old priest behind the screen grunted, "OK, go ahead. " "I killed a bird and feel awful bad about what I did." "Did you shoot the bird to eat or because it was attacking you ?" " No father I shot it by accident. I was pointing for practice and I always miss, but this time I didn't."
"Are you sorry for what you did ?" "Oh yes father I am very sorry !"

Old Father Michael knew it was Anthony in the confessional. He knew the boy was a good kid despite the two times he surprised him and two other altar boys sipping altar wine in the sacristy. His confessions usually consisted of the typical sins; impure thoughts, lying, cusswords, and fighting  confessed by twelve year old boys. Father Michael could tell by Anthony's tone that this incident carried a heavy burden of hurt and guilt so he decided to take extra time before dispensing any advice or mandatory penance.

"So will you shoot birds again ?" " No, I was so upset I threw my pellet gun in the water when the bird died this morning." "What ?" "Well when I shot the bird and picked it up it's little eyes were fluttering and it was warm. Since I didn't see any blood I hoped it was just stunned. I took the bird home and placed it in a little box.  I thought if it was left in a dark quiet place it might come back to life. But, this morning I found the little thing was stiff and cold so I buried it and made a little cross for it's grave. Then, I threw my gun in the creek. " "Did you look at the critter before you buried it ? " "Yes". "What did you see ?" "Well the little bird was several shades of blue with a chest of orange and a belly of soft white feathers. It's wings and tail were perfectly shaped for flying. It's tiny legs ended in claws that were just right for picking seeds or berries, and its beak was smooth and sharp. It was very light so I knew it was a good flyer. Did my little bird go to heaven Father ?" Anthony was now weeping.

"Son, God makes many wondrous creatures. Each flying, swimming, walking, and creeping thing has  a unique set of traits and things to do in our natural world. The good Lord is the most perfect architect. He engineers and imagines all the birds, beasts and crawly things. However, his greatest creation was you and I. God made us with brains to reason and make decisions. And, he will forgive our errors and give us another chance to do good when we goof up, Are you are truly sorry ? I don't know if the bird you killed went to heaven. But, I do know God will forgive you. You've confessed your terrible mistake, expressed genuine sorrow, for killing, and promised to never harm another of God's creatures. Do you sincerely pledge to cause no harm to other creatures unless you are attacked or need food ?" "Oh yes Father I do." "Well then in the name of God I absolve you of this sin. "

"OK now get outta here and behave yourself." Anthony stammered, "but Father what is my penance ?" " Anthony, you learned an important lesson today so you don't need any Hail Mary's to recite. But, I do need you to fill in for Joey at the 10AM Mass tomorrow, and no drinking my wine !"

Anthony stepped from the confessional darkness with a red face realizing that Father Michael recognized him. But, he also felt the coolness of the church sanctuary, relief of his terrible sin being forgiven, and the hope the blue bird was happily tweeting in heaven.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment