Blog Archive

Monday, August 18, 2014

MY SAM CHAIR

Years ago my boss Sam (Sandler) changed his office furniture and before it was dumpsterized I asked for his old chair. It has been my office chair ever since and it reminds me of Sam.

Sam inherited a thriving food distribution business from his father and with a few relatives and loyal employees built a tremendous enterprise. Sam was a brilliant businessman, but also a philanthropist,  avid Boy Scout supporter, and generous member of his synagogue. With his family he built a company that was named the nation's Best Food Distribution Company during the 1980's. Eventually, his company was sold into other companies and faded after nearly 80 years of existence.

I love my Sam chair as I admire the great man who once used it to manage his financial empire. It is a heavy wooden chair of highly polished wood. No pads, softness, wheels, or adjustment dials on this solid piece of furniture. The straight-backed chair has a stamped date underneath of April 11, 1955 and may have been his father Max's chair. Despite it's age it shows no sign of weakness and will surely last many more decades. It is an honest straight forward bench once used by an honest straight forward man who possessed great gifts of business acumen, common sense, and kindness.

My Sam Chair is a prized possession because it is a reminder of a great Hampton Roads (Virginia) man who built a large business and provided thousands of people careers over the life of his company.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment