Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

MY POLITICAL AWARENESS AND EVOLUTION

I remember the televised political conventions for the 1952 presidential race. The two national party meetings may have been the first on television and I was hypnotized by everything I saw. I was only five or six years old.

First,  I was impressed by the diversity of geography and citizenry from our forty eight states. Delegates of different colors, wearing funny hats and outfits, bedecked with shiny campaign buttons all waving placards was pretty exciting stuff. It was my first realization that my country was a huge place full of many different folks. I was a political virgin, but really enjoyed the spectacle and roll call process. When called each representative would boast the products or unique features of his state or territory and then loudly proclaim the number of delegate votes for the various candidates.

I believed all the speechifying and promises of the candidates and speakers. They were all grandfatherly types and I assumed their honesty and sincerity in every thing they said.  Later, I learned that this convention was a process where the winners were actually chosen in smoky places full of party bosses and floor delegates brokered their votes for political favors.

I listened to Eisenhower, Adlai Stevenson, Nixon, Douglas MacArthur, John Sparkman, Nixon, Estes Kefauver and other party leaders. Their speeches all produced wild cheering, dancing, and sign pumping.  At the time, the conventions and fancy inauguration parade pretty much summed up my exposure to the world of American politics. In 1952 "I liked Ike " because he was a great war general and my dad's choice.

I didn't gain my right to vote until the 1968 election, but faithfully followed all the conventions. Like many, I was impressed by the youthful John Kennedy and his hopeful visions for America. To my fathers dismay, I actually supported Hubert Humphrey, Jesse Jackson and Lyndon Johnson at various times in the sixties.

After Vietnam, the Kennedy/ King assassinations, and the civil rights and anti war demonstrations of the 1960's my political views changed. I had never considered myself a complete democrat or republican, but slowly began to drift to the conservative side of politics. My father was pleased that our endless political differences were fading. I still viewed all our national leaders as incredibly talented men and women of value despite the rare cases of corruption reported in the news. Since the 1952 political conventions there are now more balloons, fanfare, and firebrand speeches. In my opinion, the conventions have become more predictable with less drama, spontaneity, and smoke filled rooms.

In my opinion, while he was a masterful political wheeler dealer with tons of political clout, Lyndon Johnson, had the Vietnam mess destroy much of his legacy. Nixon always seemed edgy and sneaky, but his work with Kissinger opening up China revealed his skill as a great global political leader. Jimmy Carter, Bush senior and Ford were honorable men, but weak chief executives. Reagan was a master communicator and able to undo the USSR, boost our economy and national esteem. I rate Reagan as Americas second or third best president of the twentieth century bested only by FDR and Truman. Bill Clinton had his naughty ways, but was effective in reaching across the political aisle and getting things done. Bush junior sadly became his best after the 9-11 crime. Obama offered great promise, but delivered little domestic or world leadership. He ended up a terrible disappointment for many Americans and especially minorities. Trump is the new guy at 1600 and its too early to rate his tenure.

I never liked The War on Poverty because giving people free stuff and services has been a trillion dollar mistake of well meaning progressives. Self sufficiency cannot be legislated or controlled by the government. Franklin Roosevelt enacted the first social help federal programs during a dark period in our nations economic history. At the time it was good and necessary, but over the decades politicians have discovered giving away stuff as an easy way to capture votes and gain easy re election. Sadly, welfare and giveaway government schemes multiplied and have robbed taxpayers for decades and helped mostly bureaucrats and political despots and kept poor people poor and dis spirited.

In the fifties and sixties as a young white southerner, I sadly witnessed the daily insults to people of color. I learned of their misery as slaves and the gross injustices generations endured until laws and public opinion delivered black people to a much better place. While things are never perfect, Americans of color have become as equal in economic, government, cultural, education, social and military affairs as other citizens. I am pleased that after all the historic happy talk of universal freedom from our founding fathers, their aspirations have finally materialized. However, I am disappointed and angry with those fake civil rights leaders who have used racism as their cash cow and excuse for bad behavior.

I believe our Constitution is a sacred document. Laws should be followed until Congress vote legal changes to a law. Judges are the judicial branch of our government and have no business changing or making laws. Their job is to interrupt laws enacted by Congress.  Illegal aliens are the anti thesis of lawful citizens and despite the potential votes, do not deserve the unlimited support of any political party. I believe the number one role of any government, including ours, is national defense. To protect citizens and our natural resources a strong military force is a necessity. Teddy Roosevelt was very right when he repeated the old line, "speak softly but carry a big stick."

I have traveled the world and seen nicer places and ones not as nice as America. Also, I have studied a lot of world and American history and find that despite a few skeletons in our national closet, the United States is the worlds home of maximum economic and political liberty. Among large nations American, has the most generous, creative, inventive, peace loving, and diverse population.

Over the last seven decades I have become a political conservative with empathy, a strong supporter of our military, and a nationalist who cannot listen to our National Anthem or visit Arlington without shedding a few tears. I was part of the "silent generation" and believe the concerns raised by the Tea Party movement and my fellow advocates caused a major shift in our political world. I am not worried over the ever changing flurry of radical protesters, silly acts of political correctness, liberal media bias, Hollywood strangeness, and screeching from the halls of Congress. All of these peculiar patterns, after all, manifest healthy burps in a land of healthy free speech and expression. I know  there are political clowns, frauds, patriots, and great Americans  in both major political parties, but believe true conservative politicos are the best of the bunch.

I worry most about our leaders who are unaware or unwilling to identify foreign centers of evil seeking to undermine our nation from within or without. I strongly adhere to an "American First" policy and fear our leaders who are more interested in appeasing or being liked by other nations rather than striving to make America great.

I do my best to respect the opinions of my liberal friends and family members. It is very difficult at times and I must try to be a better listener and more effective voice for my political views. Since the 1952 political conventions I have observed our political process/players and evolved from the left to the right side of politics.

Despite verbal arrows and disapproval from some, I know my father would be proud of me and my politics.





No comments:

Post a Comment