Blog Archive

Monday, April 22, 2013

EVIL IN THE NAME OF GOD ....

In my opinion, there is no God in any of the worlds religions of today or yesterday.

Religion is a man made item created to explain things that defy logical explanation. Organized religions are social organizations with doctrines, a pecking order of leaders, and a value system of behavior and practices. The leaders and rules are determined by the education, race, ethnicity, geography, culture, and social standing of the group. Members of religions are promised rewards of a peaceful after life, a reincarnation, a paradise, or a harem of virgins if they remain loyal. The main requirements are to faithfully follow the rules, leaders, tithe, and work to convert others.

In a fog of magic blended with blind faith and optimism, people are lead to accept the reality of fantastic people and events. Otherwise intelligent people are required to accept events and persons that range from downright silly to void of any common sense or scientific proof. Throughout history religious groups have become so zealous that acts of war and horror have befallen others in the name of God. The mix of religious fervor and politics has proven throughout history to be a particularly deadly combination. The Crusades, Holocaust, Reformation, Inquisition, and Jihads are  examples of the insanity and mayhem created by religious differences and intolerance. In my opinion, an element in most wars can be traced to cultural differences between people, and a critical element in cultural differences is religion.

Surely there is a Supreme Force or God which created everything and controls everything. I believe in that Supreme Power. However in my opinion, one need not associate with religion to believe in God. Religion demands a degree of surrendering ones free will and common sense to conform to a set of beliefs and rituals. While there are wonderful people, even saints, in some churches there is a larger number of members that present danger from their deep devotion which tends to intolerance. Over history religions have convinced too many people and civilizations to do war, rape, murder, and pillage in the name of God.

When I was a child my religion taught me my faith was the only true faith. I would get an easier route to paradise then all my non-Catholic friends. I was told it was blasphemy to consider the ideas of other religions. Like many, I became a church member as an infant before I could think of any options. Additionally, as a child my religious training gave me a bucket load of guilt and sins to consider in my every "word and action." I think my religious indoctrination was a typical experience many billions in the religions of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, and Hinduism have shared and suffered.

My advice is to believe in God in whatever form He or She might take, but steer clear of religions and houses of worship. Finally, I believe the real God is not a member of any religious organization and is probably very unhappy that His or Her good name is associated with the rabble of churches and religions that plague the planet.

                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment